Breaking NEWS: Egypt state prosecutor dead after convoy bombed in Cairo

0
147
Egypt state prosecutor dies in hospital of wounds sustained earlier in bombing of convoy he was traveling in – France 24Newslines covering the event relayed earlier that the Prosecutor General, Hisham Barakat, survived the bombing, and had only sustained wounds. One of them – Al Ahram ran this update 1 hour ago:

UPDATE 2: Egypt’s top prosecutor, six others injured in bomb attack

Bomb targeted convoy of Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat

EgyptEgypt’s Prosecutor General, Hisham Barakat, and six others were injured in a bomb attack in Cairo on Monday, a health ministry spokesperson told Ahram Online.AFP 542140356 I CIU EGY -

Barakat, one civilian, and five members of the security forces were injured when a bomb hit the prosecutor’s convoy near the military academy in Heliopolis, the spokesperson said.

“Barakat’s condition is still being investigated,” he added.

He is being treated at Al-Nozha hospital in Heliopolis.

Islamist militants, who have primarily targeted security forces since the removal of president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013, have also attacked several judges.

In May, three judges and their driver were killed when gunmen opened fire on their vehicle in the North Sinai city of Al-Arish.

In March, a small bomb was left in front of the house of judge Fathi Bayoumi, who investigated the corruption charges against Mubarak-era interior minister Habib El-Adly. The words “a gift for El-Adly’s acquittal” were scribbled on a wall near the attack.

In January, a bomb attack targeting judge Khaled Mahgoub, who is acting for the general prosecution in Morsi’s jailbreak trial, caused damage to the windows and walls of his house.

Supporters of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood accuse Egypt’s judiciary of issuing politicised sentences, including against the group’s supreme guide Mohamed Badie and former president Mohamed Morsi. Both were among tens of the now banned group’s members who have been sentenced to death during the past year.

Barakat was appointed Egypt’s top prosecutor in July 2013 following the resignation of Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here