Saudi Arabia-led air strikes hit an arms depot outside Yemen’s capital and at least 20 people were reported dead, a day before the kingdom has pledged to start implementing a cease-fire.
The bombing sparked a massive fire and caused widespread damage, according to local residents. Yemen’s official news agency Saba, which is under the control of Shiite Houthi rebels, said initial estimates suggest that at least 20 people died and 150 were injured. More air strikes on Tuesday hit weapons stores and military sites in Sana’a, Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television reported.
Saudi Arabia is leading a coalition of mostly Sunni Muslim nations that has carried out more than six weeks of airstrikes against the Houthis, who ousted a pro-Saudi government this year.
After pressure from the U.S., the kingdom agreed last week to a five-day humanitarian pause due to start at 11 p.m. local time on Tuesday, though it said the truce will only hold if the Houthis implement it too.
On Monday, the official Saudi Press Agency said one Pakistani national was killed and four people injured, in a Houthi mortar attack on a Saudi border town. The rebels also claimed to have shot down a Moroccan F16 fighter plane that was part of the coalition force, according to the pro-Houthi channel al-Masira. Morocco’s official MAP news agency said on Sunday that a plane was hit and the pilot was missing.