Three Minneapolis police officers who fatally shot a Somali American man after police said he fired at them will not be facing charges.

Dolal Idd was shot on December 30, 2020 during a sting operation, during which police used an informant to set up a gun purchase from Idd, who was being investigated for illegal weapons dealings, prosecutors said.

Dakota County Attorney Kathy Keena reviewed the case per request of Hennepin County. Keena said that while Idd’s death was tragic, the officers were justified in using deadly force after Idd fired at them, and there was no basis for criminal charges.

“The use of deadly force by a peace officer is justified to protect the officer or another person from death or great bodily harm,” Keena said in the investigative summary. “It is my conclusion that given the facts and circumstances of this incident, it was objectively reasonable for the three peace officers to believe Mr. Idd posed a deadly threat to them and other officers at the scene at the time they fired their weapons.”

According to the investigation, officers surrounded Idd when he arrived at the gas station where the purchase was supposed to take place. Prosecutors said he ignored officers’ commands and tried to drive away. After officers pinned-in the car he was driving, he fired through the driver’s side window, striking the hood of a police car.

Officers Paul Huyhn and Jason Schmitt and police Sgt. Darcy Klund all returned fire, hitting Idd multiple times. A passenger in Idd’s vehicle was not injured.

The summary from Kenna’s office said the three officers all said they fired at Idd “because they believed Mr. Idd was either trying to kill them and/or the other peace officers at the scene.” Klund also said he fired to defend other customers in the parking lot. Prosecutors said body camera video and a statement from Idd’s passenger support police statements that Idd fired first.

Dolal Idd’s family said they were hoping for a different outcome in the case. Bayle Adod Gelle, center, father of Idd, marches outside the Minnesota State Capitol building on May 24 in St. Paul, Minnesota. STEPHEN MATUREN/GETTY IMAGES

Idd’s death was Minneapolis’ first police-involved death since George Floyd died months earlier while being restrained. Police Chief Medaria Arradondo released some body camera video from Idd’s shooting the day after it happened, saying he wanted the public to see it for themselves, as the city was trying to stem public anger.

Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations, said Idd’s family wants Minnesota Governor Tim Walz to assign the case to the state’s attorney general, Keith Ellison. Hussein also said the family has not been able to see any of the body camera video in the case before learning that there would be no charges filed.

“We hoped that this case would at least have a different outcome, but these county prosecutors seem to be really not interested in working with the family,” Hussein said.

The Minneapolis Police Department had no statement on the prosecutor’s findings.

Source: Newsweek


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here